About Me

My photo
Cromer, Norfolk, United Kingdom




I'm a former hospital radio/club/mobile DJ, avid record collector and amateur musician (playing guitar, keyboards, recorder, harmonica and percussion.) I've even filled in on bass guitar for a couple of local bands as well (although that was quite a few years ago). Also interested in Motorsports, Wrestling/Mixed Martial Arts and Classic Television and Radio from the 1960s - 1980s.

Why am I on here? Well, I'm just trying to make some sense of life before it's too late...but who cares anyway?

Tuesday, 24 December 2013

So This Is Christmas (well, that's what they think...)

I recently posted on Twitter that I was planning one of my regular Sky+ clearout sessions as there wasn't really anything happening in my life over the Christmas period.  Now I'm not trying to make out that I'm some kind of scrooge or buzz killer, it's just that recently, I just can't get excited about this time of year.

You see, when I was DJing back in the day, I used to enjoy myself as this used to be my busiest time of year.  Not only did I have regular weekend gigs, I had an extra night on Christmas Eve, plus a massive New Year's Eve bash at my local pub (where a friend's band was performing - I used to get invited to do DJ slots in between their sets, and occasionally, I'd end up on stage with the band where I'd do a few party pieces - these were mainly Shadows numbers with the odd Del Shannon song thrown in as well.  Even after the old Lamplight club changed hands and I was no longer working down there, I had a couple of years doing my own discos - sometimes over the festive period I was doing anything up to eight or nine nights in a row.  It was somewhat chaotic at times, but I did enjoy those gigs on the whole.  Anyway, to cut a long story short,  the bookings eventually dried up  while the club I was DJ-ing for closed down several months later - the reason it did so escapes me.

Anyway, to my mind, Christmas doesn't really seem to be that special these days.  There doesn't seem to be that air of anticipation there was when I was younger, nor that sense of cameraderie with your mates in the pub while "Merry Xmas Everybody" is blaring out of the jukebox for what seems like the millionth time (but who cares anyway?).  Nowadays it just feels like any other time of year.  I suppose I'll try and make an effort, but once that last bit of washing up's been done I'm getting out of the way ASAP.