About Me

My photo
Cromer, Norfolk, United Kingdom




I'm a former hospital radio/club/mobile DJ, avid record collector and amateur musician (playing guitar, keyboards, recorder, harmonica and percussion.) I've even filled in on bass guitar for a couple of local bands as well (although that was quite a few years ago). Also interested in Motorsports, Wrestling/Mixed Martial Arts and Classic Television and Radio from the 1960s - 1980s.

Why am I on here? Well, I'm just trying to make some sense of life before it's too late...but who cares anyway?

Saturday, 31 July 2010

One Man's Poison....

It's often been said that one man's poison is another man's food - and I think that's a perfect anaolgy as far as record collecting's concerned. For example, last weekend I went to a record fair at the local community centre, but it wasn't the usual boxes of rare Beatles or Elvis singles that I ended up taking a closer look at - it was one section where LPs were going for 50p each or 3 for a quid - especially after picking up half a dozen Paul McCartney albums and several Elvis LPs (albeit the cheap RCA Camden ones) last year. Anyway, I came away from last Sunday's outing with 12 albums & 12" singles for £4. One of them was an old Connie Francis ("The Exciting Connie Francis") from 1959 - I paid around 34p (based on the 3 for a quid offer), yet while I was looking on eBay a few days later, I found that a few people were offering it for around £25. A Brenda Lee album from 1962, picked up the same afternoon was spotted on eBay with prices upwards of £10. I think I might have got something of a bargain after seeing those two examples.

Elsewhere, it's another busy motorsports weekend. Team GB take their place in tonight's Speedway World Cup final in Vojens alongside Poland, Denmark and Sweden, Formula 1 moves on to Budapest for the Hungarian Grand Prix, where the team orders row is still one of the major talking points of the weekend while NASCAR is at the Pocono Raceway for Sunday's Sunoco Red Cross Pennsylvania 500. Pocono is an unusual track, configured in a triangle instead of the normal oval circuits NASCAR usually race at, with three differently banked corners and three straights of differing length which will challenge driver and car alike. This should be an interesting race as Juan Pablo Montoya attempts to put his problems at Indianapolis behind him but don't count out 4-time series champion Jimmie Johnson or last week's winner Jamie McMurray both of whom are starting in the top ten on the grid.

Should be an interesting few days....